The 2022 IHBB European Championships
The International History Bee and Bowl will hold its eleventh annual European Championships at the Swiss International School in Basel on 27-29 May, 2022. Many thanks to SIS Basel for offering to host us and to Mr. Grayson McCready for coordinating the hosting arrangements.
Registration is now open! Please click here to access the Registration Form.
Please note the following:
1. When you register, you agree to all of the below listed policies including !
2. Registration using the form above is required in advance of the Championships. Upon registration, you will be sent a confirmation email, followed by an invoice with payment instructions.
2. Please see the “Costs” tab on the menu bar for a list of prices and fees, and for further explanation on how costs are calculated. When you register, you also agree to all of the policies listed on the bottom of the costs page here.
3. Please feel free to fill out multiple registrations as your plans change. If it is unclear whether you are filling out a completely new registration, or an addition to a preexisting one, our staff will be in touch to confirm your plans.
4. Please note that it is required for a school to provide a reader for any competition in which it has any individual students compete. For individual events, 1 reader is required per 8 students or fraction thereof. 1 reader is required for every 2 bowl teams or fraction thereof). You may request a waiver (please do this by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org) but whether it is granted depends on IAC’s ability to find replacement staff, and it should not be presumed. If one or two students from a school (that otherwise is not required to have a reader for the History Bowl) attend and compete in an individual competition, no reader is required.
History Bowl Teams of 3 or more students or teams of 2 students which are sponsored by schools (i.e. a coach or teacher from that school attends) who are granted a waiver must still pay a $100 fee per reader they are lacking for Saturday, and a $200 fee per reader they are lacking for both days. These funds are then used to hire outside staff. The same policy of needing to request a waiver and pay a $100 fee per missing reader also applies to schools competing in the Academic Bowl on Friday.
5. Once a registration is received, we will send you an invoice for payment with instructions on how to pay.
6. Registration will run through May 15 for team events and May 24 for individual events.
7. For the 2021-2022 academic year, the Varsity Division is meant for students born in August 2005 or earlier. The Junior Varsity Division is meant for students born from September 2005-August 2007. The Middle School Division is for students born in September 2007 or thereafter. In the Bowls, you can have younger students compete on a team in an older division, but not vice versa. In the Bees, the students can’t play up.
8. Teams can have an unlimited number of members at the Championships, though only four students can play at any one time.
9. Please note the following regarding our cancellation policy (updated for 2022 as shown here):
– You can cancel your registration for free until May 15 by emailing email@example.com minus a 50 euro processing fee for any fees that have been paid.
– Teams and students dropping between May 15 and May 24 owe 50% of their registration fees. Participants / schools are liable to pay these registration fees regardless of whether or not they have actually submitted payment, as by this point, we need to have hired and paid for staff, their travel, and the awards based on our original registration numbers.
– Teams and students dropping after May 24 owe 100% of their registration fees. Participants / schools are liable to pay these registration fees regardless of whether or not they have actually submitted payment, as by this point, we need to have hired and paid for staff, their travel, and the awards based on our original registration numbers.
10. For any questions please contact the 2022 European Championships Tournament Director, Mr David Madden at firstname.lastname@example.org